"There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord." 1 Corinthians 12:5

Friday, June 17, 2011

Each Day A Blessing

In the spirit of my "coworkers," I have started this blog to keep my friends and family updated on what I'm working on through The Bridge of Storm Lake this summer.  My first two weeks here have been amazing; each and every day is a blessing.

*On Mondays, we help to bag food and distribute it to those who need it in the community. 
*Wednesdays, Kirsten and I teach an English class.  Our class consists of  7 women from three different continents! Their dedication to learning is amazing: some students attend 6 English classes every week! 
*Every Wednesday night, The Bridge hosts "Neighborhood Nights."  This is a grill out in different neighborhoods around Storm Lake where neighbors are encouraged to get to know one another.  There is always good food, good people, and great laughs. 
*I am also involved in planning a float for the 4th of July parade, as well as serving as a camp counselor for Summer Sizzle, a week long camp for 5th-8th grade girls.

My first week here, we took the kids to vacation bible school at Grace Lutheran Church here in Storm Lake. Each morning we gathered the children into two 12-passenger vans and they spent the morning at VBS!  We had lunch ready for them at noon when they came back.  We enjoyed some downtime with the kids in the afternoon.  Wednesday was my first day teaching an English class with Kirsten.  I am so excited to continue working with these women; their dedication to learning is amazing.  We also had a "Fun Friday", and  2 girls got to come with Kirsten and I to enjoy a movie and snacks.



 Nyakueth and I swinging. 



Neighborhood Night on June 8th 


 Neighborhood Night on June 15th



Kirsten and Nyakueth


Interest and involvement in The Bridge is growing!  I am so lucky to be here this summer.  I hope to continue developing these relationships and growing in my own faith. 

All my love,
Allison Jean


No comments:

Post a Comment